Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Peer Advisor Highlight



Up next for our Peer Advisor highlight is, Sarah Cunningham!

Sarah Cunningham, Senior, Cell and Molecular Biology and Anthropology

My international experience gave me a new language, a new family, a new perspective, and above all, a new understanding of the world and my place within it. Living in another country provides real-life lessons every single day in communication, organization, cultural awareness, adaptability, persistence, and independence that are invaluable in both an academic and professional setting. International experience also helped me decide what career I was passionate about and wanted to pursue. Everyone should try to travel internationally - as students we have so many opportunities to go abroad (many of which can be funded!), and international experience allows you to apply what you've learned in the classroom to real-world experiences. Traveling abroad also exposes students to so many different cultures, lifestyles, and ways of thinking that challenge what we think we know, and promotes global awareness and thinking on a global scale. The next place I want to visit is Morocco - I've always wanted to learn Arabic, and I think the culture and history of the country is fascinating.

"If you talk to a man in a language he understands, that goes to his head. If you talk to him in his language, that goes to his heart." - Nelson Mandela

Happy International Education Week! #mgoabroad

No comments:

Post a Comment