Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Peer Adivsor Highlight




Alison Climes, Senior, International Studies & Spanish

1. How has your international experience influenced your life academically and professionally?

My first international experience in college was a volunteer trip to Nicaragua after my freshman year with a group of other U of M students. This positively influenced my decision to go abroad the next summer to intern in Spain, led me to my job as a peer advisor, sparked my interest in public health and Spanish, and even influenced my decision to go to Ghana this past summer. It was a very important part of my freshman year and impacted the rest of my undergraduate career.

2. Would you recommend traveling internationally to other U-M students? Explain.
 
Yes! I think going abroad is one of the best experiences a student can have. By being outside of your comfort zone, you will be able to learn so much about yourself and those around you. It will challenge you and can be difficult at times, but overall I think it is an enriching way to learn outside the classroom. 

3. Tells us about one place you are dying to visit! Why?

Colombia, Chile, Argentina, Bolivia... so many places left to explore! Because of my interest in Spanish, I'm eager to travel to spanish-speaking countries and I have yet to set foot on the continent of South America, but it's on the top of my list.

4. What is your travel motto? Example: “A good traveler has no fixed plans and is not intent on arriving.” - Lao Tzu

Travel motto: "The people make the place" -  From my experiences, I have learned that what makes the place you are traveling to special is the people that you meet along the way and/or the people who are there to experience it with you. 


No comments:

Post a Comment