Funding for Internships, Research & Volunteering Abroad:
Note: We will continue to update this list as we find out about new opportunities.
Fellowships open to Undergrads and Graduate Students
- Monday, Feb. 17: Wallenberg International Summer Travel Award
- For undergrad and graduate students pursuing a project focusing on community service or civic participation.
- Monday, Feb. 17: International Institute Individual Fellowships
- For undergraduates & graduate students participating in an internship or research abroad
- Friday, Feb. 24: African Studies Center Funding
- For undergrad and graduate students seeking funds to pursue African studies related research, internships, or conference participation.
- Friday, Feb. 28: Center for Southeast Asian Studies Thai Studies: Thai Studies Internship Support (for undergraduates; see below for graduate student funding)
- Early March: College of Engineering International Internship Scholarship
- MCompass.umich.edu, Search Scholarships for "Engineering"
- Monday, March 3: LSA Internship Scholarship
- For LSA undergraduate students receiving need-based support through the Office of Financial Aid.
- Friday, March 14, Program in International and Comparative Studies (PICS)
- PICS Summer Research and Internships Grants (For International Studies Majors & Minors ONLY.)
- PICS Arctic Internships (For undergrads in any concentration seeking an internship in the Arctic region.) – internship & funding opportunities. Apply by February 14.
- Saturday, March 15: Mary Sue & Kenneth Coleman Global Experience Fund
- Need-based funding for undergraduates or graduate students pursuing a study, internship, or volunteer abroad program.
- Saturday, March 15: Weiser Center for Europe & Eurasia (see below)
- Six different grants available for undergraduates and graduate students pursuing internships and research in Europe.
- Saturday, March 15: Armenian Studies Program (ASP): Travel and Research Grants (For undergrads and graduate students engaged in research or projects related to Armenian studies.)
- Mid-March: Department of Germanic Languages & Literatures (for undergraduates and graduate students of all majors who are undertaking an internship in Germany or another German-speaking country)
- Tuesday, March 25: Nam Center for Korean Studies (see below)
- Nam Center for Korean Studies: Student Research Fellowships (For undergrads or graduate student conducting research on Korean studies.)
- Nam Center for Korean Studies: SeAH-Haiam Arts and Sciences Scholarship (For undergrads or graduate student conducting research on Korean studies.)
- Summer in Korea Scholarship (support for study at the Yonsei International Summer School)
- Sunday, March 30 (2013 deadline): Center for Latin American and Caribbean Studies (LACS)
- Brazil Initiative Undergraduate Fellowship (funding to support an unpaid internship, research, or volunteering experiences in Brazil)
- See below for Graduate Student Award information
- Friday, April 4: Barger Leadership Institute (BLI) Global Internship Award
- For BLI-affiliated students & Organizational Studies majors pursuing an internship with a global focus
- Funding available for traditional study abroad, as well.
- Various deadlines: LSA Global Experience Scholarship For LSA undergraduates who are participating in programs through the Center for Global & Intercultural Study – Search MCompass for Scholarships)
Funding for Student Organizations
Fellowships open to Graduate Students Only
- Monday, January 27: Davis Projects for Peace
- Projects for Peace are summer-long projects designed and implemented by undergraduate students passionate about peace in their communities and around the globe.
- Saturday, February 8: College of Engineering Student Organization International Trip Funding
- Various deadlines: Ginsberg Center Student Initiative Grants (for student organizations)
Note: Members of student organizations who are applying for individual funding sources on this handout should be sure to prepare individual and unique applications. Be sure to write about how the global experience will impact YOU academically, personally, and professionally!
Fellowships open to Graduate Students Only
- Friday, Jan. 31: Center for the Education of Women
- Menakka and Essel Bailey Graduate Fellowship (For graduate students pursuing work, research, study, or other cultural experiences in South or Southeast Asia, excluding China and Japan.)
- Saturday, Feb. 1: Center for Chinese Studies – various grants (For graduate students only; some reserved for students earning degrees through the CCS.)
- Monday, Feb. 3: Rackham International Research Award (RIRA) (For graduate students; also check out other Rackham-administered grants.)
- Tuesday, Feb. 18: African Studies Initiative Research Grant (for current graduate students interested in African Studies.)
- Tuesday, Feb. 18: The Moody Fellowship, the SAIO Research Grant and the Moody Exchange Scholarship (For graduate students pursuing research or an internship in South Africa.)
- Friday, Feb. 28: Center for Southeast Asian Studies: Thai Studies Research Grant (Project must be focused on Thailand.)
- Friday, March 14: Tinker Research Grant (For graduate students conducting preliminary fieldwork in Latin America)
- Click here to view the International Career Pathways presentation on "Funding for Research and Internships Abroad," which took place in November. Administrators of several of the grants below talk about their funding opportunities, including tips for applying.
- Click here, then on "Tips..." to view a Statement of Purpose Writing Workshop presented by Sweetland Writing Center.
- For a list of offices that offer funding, please see the Funding section of the Global Michigan website.
Prepared by the International Center’s Education Abroad Office
Questions? Contact us at email@example.com.